An Indian man has died after being being poisoned by liquid oxygen whilst pinned to an MRI machine in a Mumbai hospital, police say.

Rajesh Maru, 32, was dragged into the MRI machine at Nair Hospital after he entered the insulated room to visit a relative carrying a metal oxygen canister while the machine was in operation.

Maru became pinned between the metal canister and the MRI machine by the extremely powerful magnetic forces it produces. However, it was not the impact that killed him, but the toxic levels of liquid oxygen he inhaled after the canister he was carrying started to leak.

Police say a doctor, attendant, and “ward boy” at the hospital have been arrested for causing death by negligence under section 304 of India’s penal code, according to the Hindustan Times.

The hospital has also launched an internal investigation into the incident.

Share.

Comments are closed.