Six people have been killed and eight more injured in a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.
More than 50 people had gathered for evening prayers at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on Sunday night when a gunman opened fire, in what Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard described as a terrorist attack.
Police described the victims as men aged between 35 and 70 years old.
The suspect was arrested at the scene. Police do not believe there any further suspects at large and said the location was now secure and situation “under control”.
On its Facebook page the centre thanked the public “for the hundreds of messages of compassion” and said its thoughts and prayers are with the children who have been left without their fathers in the attack.
In a statement, Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, said:
“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.
“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of all those who have died, and we wish a speedy recovery to those who have been injured.
“While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.
“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.
“Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.”
Last year, the same mosque was the target of another Islamophobic attack, when a severed pig’s head was left in front of the building with a card saying “bonne appetit”.